Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte (or iced coffee)
I don’t know how many of you have read this article from Bustle.com on what is in a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, but if you haven’t… you should know that there is no pumpkin in a pumpkin spice latte. Gross right? I remember I tried it back in grad school (circa 2007) and thought it was the most disgusting drink in the world. I didn’t like the way it tasted and couldn’t figure out why people enjoyed them so much. My drink of choice, the peppermint mocha, was my usual go to, but since they rack up 1 trillion calories per small cup, I quit.
Anyway, after reading the bustle.com article, I decided to make my own pumpkin spice latte (or iced coffee in my case) because I love pumpkin flavored things and I love iced coffee, so why not create one that isn’t 1 trillion calories.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a week’s worth of pumpkin base:
1. 1 15oz can of 100%pure pumpkin. Read the label.. if it says pumpkin followed by other gross things, don’t get that one.. get the one that contains only pumpkin.
2. 2 – 4 tsp of vanilla extract. I actually have Trader Joe’s bourbon vanilla extract which probably would have been way better, but alas, I couldn’t find it.
3. 2 – 4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.
4. 1/4 cup maple syrup. More if you want it sweeter.
So basically, take all of these ingredients and dump them into a sauce pan and mix them up. You want this pumpkin base to get warm, but don’t burn it. Once it’s heated and is as sweet as you want it, remove from heat.
5. 1 cup o’ almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened — up to you) or you can use whatever dairy product you want.
Put the almond mile and about 1/3 cup of the pumpkin mix into a blender (I used my nutribullet) and blend until frothy. Once that is done, add it to 1-2 shots of espresso or a cup of coffee (add ice for that iced coffee goodness — cold brew of course). You can sprinkle extra pumpkin pie spice on top of your beverage.
As for the rest of the pumpkin goodness, you can put that in an airtight container and pop it into the fridge.